Sunday, November 10, 2013

Graphics 2.0 Demo Contest

A week after Corona Labs launched the Public Beta of Corona's Graphics 2.0 engine, they held a contest to see who could come up with the most creative use of the Graphics 2.0 APIs in a game, business app, eBook, or demo.

I made a game called "Midnight", named after my cat. My goal was to make a game that was equally fun for cats and humans. I wanted people to be able to compete for high scores with their cat(s), so I tried to create game mechanics that would work as well with cats as with humans. I took advantage of the Graphics 2.0 APIs to make all the graphics for the game.


As you can see in the demo, there are many orbs on the screen, but only some of them have color and move about the screen. You gain points by tapping the orbs that move around, but lose points if you tap the stationary ones. All the colored orbs are shown for a second at the start of each level, but after that move randomly around. When they are not moving, they lose their color and blend in with the stationary orbs, though you can still tap them for points.

No comments:

Post a Comment